Setting your thermostat is a very personal decision. There are no set rules–your settings largely depend on your
comfort. When you live in Boynton Beach, Florid during the summer the AC temperature is important but there are ways to save money and stay cool.
On average for every degree you set your thermostat back, you save 2% on your electric bill. Keep in mind, the
average household nationally spends more than $2,200 a year on their energy bills – with 50% to 60% going to cool or
heat their home.
Through proper use of a programmable thermostat (using the 4 pre-programmed settings) you can save about
$180 every year in energy costs for a typical, single family home in Boynton Beach. Experiment with adjusting the temperature
to see what is right for you and your family.
What Should Your AC be Set at During the Summer?
Setting your air conditioner during the summer month’s in South Florida is a personal preference. Studies have shown that most people’s body temperature is lowest at 5:00 am, so can set your thermostat up a few degrees at this time to save money and wake up more comfortable.
1) Setting your thermostat during the summer is a personal decision.
2) There are no set rules–your settings are totally dependent on your families comfort needs.
3) The average set temperature for south Florida is 75 degrees
4) On average for every degree you increase the temperature on your thermostat, you save 2% on your electric bills.
5) The average household in the U.S.A. spends more than $2,200 a year on energy bills
6) Your Air Conditioner consumes 50% to 60% of your electric bill.
Sign-up For Our AC Newsletter!
Need to know more about all things AC? Join our Newsletter!
Using A Programmable Thermostat
Through proper use of a programmable thermostat (using the 4 pre-programmed settings) you can maximize
your monthly energy bill savings. As we discussed earlier setting the temperature on your air conditioner’s
thermostat is your families preference, however finding ways to reduce the run time of your air conditioner will
significantly reduce your electric bills.
Programming Your Thermostat For Maximum Savings
Below are a few examples on how to best set your programmable thermostat for best results
Setting number #1 – 6 am to 4 pm set thermostat at 82 Degrees
Setting number #2 – 4 pm to 10 pm set thermostat at 75 Degrees
Setting number #3 – 10 pm to 12 pm set thermostat at 76 Degrees
Setting number #4 – 12 pm to 6 am set thermostat at 77 Degrees
Experiment with these or similar temperature and time settings and remember you want to reduce run time and
find a temperature that’s comfortable for your whole family.
One thing to consider is the fact that when you fall asleep your body temperature drops and you will still be
comfortable at a bit higher temperature, which is why you reach for your covers in the middle of the night.
Reducing Energy Costs
1) The SEER rating of your air conditioner plays a major role and impact on your energy consumption
2) The age and condition of your air conditioner affects efficiency and power consumption
3) Older less efficient air conditioners will run longer and waste more energy
4) An older air conditioner that has not been properly maintained will run even longer
5) An air conditioner that is not tuned-up annually will loose approximately 5% efficiency per year
To maximize your air conditioners ability to cool your home at the lowest possible costs requires your AC
system to be properly maintained twice a year by a quality contractor such as ECM. We don’t just check your AC
but rather we will identify and correct and/or clean whatever may affect the efficiency of your system. We guarantee
maximum performance. If your old air conditioner needs help! Let us Rejuvenate it Back to Life.
Call ECM Today to Schedule an Appointment 561-585-9850.
Follow East Coast Mechanical on Twitter
Follow East Coast Mechanical on LinkedIn
Follow East Coast Mechanical on the BBB
Browse East Coast Mechanical Jobs