Out of so many water heaters, a tankless gas water heater is among the most popular on the market. To determine whether this system is suitable for your needs, you should take a look into its pros and cons. If you can benefit from it while also tolerating its drawbacks, then a tankless gas water heater may be the right choice for you.
The advantages of the tankless gas water heater are hard to resist. No wonder this product is so popular on the market. In general, the technology solves all of the things that bothered people about old-style electric tank water heaters. Here are some of them:
- Warm water immediately flows out. There is nearly no wait time between the moment you open the tap and when you can feel warm water.
- The unit is compact. You can store it even in a narrow space. It is a perfect choice for small houses.
- Its on-demand system means it only consumes energy when needed. If you aim to help create a cleaner planet, this type of system offers the most energy efficiency.
- Your monthly electricity bill will also get lower as the system uses little to no electricity. It is also very efficient in its energy consumption.
- There are many models with smart technology. These are controllable remotely via a smartphone app, allowing you to prepare your shower on your way home from work.
- With proper usage and maintenance, a tankless gas water heater may last up to 20 years, which is considerably longer than a tank system.
- Houses with tankless gas water heaters may sell more quickly. Even the resale prices are higher than homes with tank water heaters.
Sign-up For Our AC Newsletter!
Need to know more about all things AC? Join our Newsletter!
For most people, the cons of tankless gas water heaters are nothing compared to their benefits. Even so, you need to anticipate them so you don’t have any unpleasant surprises. Here they are:
- Although it mostly relies on gas, the system still needs electrical power. Thus, you can’t run it during a power outage.
- There is a limit to its flow rate, which is quite inconvenient if multiple fixtures are running at the same time. If your house is large, you need to buy a model with high fixture capability.
- The water temperature is inconsistent, especially during cold weather.
- The units can be quite expensive. They can cost three times more than conventional tank units.
- Installation is pretty tricky and can be expensive. Moreover, you will need water pipes, gas pipes, and some electrical work to support the installation of a tankless gas water heater.
- These heaters require maintenance to clean up the buildup of mineral deposits. If the buildup is too much, the system might fail to run.
- Both the initial cost and the operational cost may still outweigh any long-term savings.
Doing your research on a tankless gas water heater is not enough. You also should check out other types of water heaters and compare them to each other. If you have any doubts, contact HVAC professionals to ask for their recommendations.
ECM Air Conditioning, with its headquarters located in Boynton Beach, FL, provides air conditioning services within Palm Beach County, Broward County, Martin County, and St. Lucie County. If you’re looking to have a new HVAC system installed, we’re on-call and ready to assist you. So if you’re in need of an HVAC installation, don’t hesitate to contact us today to schedule an inspection! Our HVAC installation experts will check your ductwork, measure, check wire sizes, and more before making recommendations to ensure maximum efficiency and comfort. Call us at 561-295-1763 or contact our HVAC installation team online by clicking here.