Items like rubbing alcohol, face masks, and wet wipes are out of stock at many stores during the coronavirus pandemic. They are also getting a little pricey due to high demand.
Disinfectant wipes are important because they can kill off pathogens that may cause infections. Because of this, they have become a necessity for many people.
However, do not fret if you can’t find them in stores; this article will teach you how to make an inexpensive alternative to disinfectant wipes.
Making Homemade Disinfectant Wipes
Disinfectant recipes you can find on the internet typically use oil and vinegar. However, these components do not kill pathogens more effectively than bleach and rubbing alcohol. The latter solution is the most effective at eliminating bacteria with fatty membranes. In this homemade disinfectant wipes recipe, we will use bleach.
Note that the product should not be applied to any body part since bleach is used. Dermatologists strictly prohibit this solution from being applied to the skin.
Disposable disinfectant wipes are only for one-time use. They are usually made with paper towels. For more information on how to make disposable disinfectant wipes, refer to the step-by-step instructions below:
1. Prepare the materials
- Roll of paper towels
- Half cup of bleach
- Elastic gloves
- An airtight container, enough to store the paper towels
- A gallon of water
2. Wear gloves. Make sure that your protective gloves seal water from entering.
3. Mix the water and bleach in the tall container. The ratio depends on the concentration of chlorine.
4. If you do not know how much you will put, follow this rule of thumb: For every 1 gallon of water, mix in 1/3 cup of bleach.
5. Fully submerge your paper towel in the solution.
6. Wait at least 5 minutes for it to soak.
7. Pour the extra bleach solution into a spray bottle. You can use this to clean surfaces like your tabletop or office desk later on.
Making reusable disinfectant wipes is similar to making disposable disinfectant wipes. However, they differ in their main ingredient. Reusable disinfectant wipes use a microfiber cloth and can be used for multiple occasions. On the other hand, disposable variants utilize paper towels and are only good for one-time use.
Using Homemade Wipes
Although your homemade product is just as effective as those bought from stores, you still need to follow these guidelines because of its bleach component:
- After wiping off a surface, please wait 5 minutes before touching it. During that 5-minute frame, bacteria or viruses with a fatty membrane will disintegrate.
- After waiting 5 minutes, wash the surface with warm water and let it fully dry.
- Launder reusable wipes with hot water after every use.
Disinfectants like wipes and alcohol are needed, especially during these times. Homemade disinfectant wipes are an efficient alternative to store-bought wipes. The best thing about homemade wipes is that they are economical. So not only are you saving yourself from getting infected, you are also helping the planet by reducing waste.
ECM Air Conditioning, with its headquarters located in Boynton Beach, FL, provides air conditioning services within Palm Beach County, Broward County, Martin County, and St. Lucie County. If you’re looking to have a new HVAC system installed, we’re on-call and ready to assist you. So if you’re in need of an HVAC installation, don’t hesitate to contact us today to schedule an inspection! Our HVAC installation experts will check your ductwork, measure, check wire sizes, and more before making recommendations to ensure maximum efficiency and comfort. Call us at 561-295-1763 or contact our HVAC installation team online by clicking here.