Central AC units come in various models and a range of prices. The price will depend on the specifications you plan to get. Different capacities and different brands result in different prices. To get a better understanding of central AC unit costs, let’s take a look at the list below.
Central AC Unit Cost by Brand
Each brand, of course, has a range of prices due to the varied specifications of their products. However, units from some brands tend to be more expensive than units from other brands with similar specifications. These premium brands usually offer more reliable quality and after-sale services.
● Amana: $1,995 to over $6,000
● Goodman: $1,555 to over $3,930
● Frigidaire: $1,250 to over $3,625
● Lennox: $3,350 to over $7,775
● Trane: $3,250 to over $8,000
● Carrier: $3,350 to over $7,475
Central AC Unit Cost by Capacity
Another factor that hugely affects the price of a central AC unit is the capacity. The larger your house, the more capacity your AC unit needs to have, which means you need to allocate more to your budget.
● 1.5 tons (600 – 1,000 sq. ft.): $1,850 – to over $3,500
● 2.0 tons (1,001 – 1,300 sq. ft.): $2,225 – to over $4,150
● 2.5 tons (1,301 – 1,600 sq. ft.): $2,500 – to over $4,850
● 3.0 tons (1,601 – 1,900 sq. ft.): $2,900 – to over $5,600
● 3.5 tons (1,901 – 2,200 sq. ft.): $3,350 – to over $6,425
● 4.0 tons (2,201 – 2,600 sq. ft.): $3,500 – to over $6,700
● 5.0 tons (2,601 – 3,200 sq. ft.): $3,650 – to over $8,000
Central AC Unit Cost by Efficiency
More efficient AC units are usually more expensive. But in the long run, they save you money due to their lower operational costs. The SEER rating is used to measure the efficiency of a central AC unit. The higher the rating, the more efficient the system runs. For reference, the minimum efficiency required is 13 SEER. If your house is in an area with a hot climate, it is best to get the most efficient unit you can afford.
● 13-14 SEER: $1,250 to over $4,700
● 15-16 SEER: $1,665 to over $5,000
● 17-18 SEER: $1,950 to over $6,700
● 19-21 SEER: $2,350 to over $7,100
● 22-24 SEER: $3,950 to over $8,000
Central AC Unit Cost of Installation
The cost to install your central AC unit depends on how much work needs to be done in the process. The average cost is around $1,300 to over $3,700, excluding the unit price. Here is the breakdown list:
● Labor cost: $1,000 to over $1,650 (1-3 working days)
● Permit and inspection: $75 to over $250
● Electrical works: $25 to over $750
● Thermostat: $35 to over $500
● Ductwork: $10 to over $2,800
The price of the unit itself makes up the most of the central AC initial cost. And it is highly ineffective to randomly buy a unit just because it’s in your price range. It is crucial to get a central AC unit with specifications that match your requirements. Hence, it is crucial to check out the prices before deciding to buy one so you can see whether you can afford it or not.
Florida Central Air Pros
ECM Air Conditioning, with its headquarters located in Boynton Beach, FL, provides air conditioning services within Palm Beach County, Broward County, Martin County, and St. Lucie County. If you’re having issues with your HVAC system, we’re on-call and ready to assist you with your air conditioning needs. So if you’re in need of an HVAC Contractor, don’t hesitate to contact us today to schedule an air conditioning service call diagnostic! Our HVAC experts will diagnose any issues that may be occurring with your HVAC system and help to repair your AC issue on the spot.
Best of all because ECM is the largest HVAC company in South Florida our local warehouse facility that is 69,000 SQFT houses over $1 million in inventory and fully stocks our 127 vehicles on the road, making us one of the very few AC service companies capable of repairing most issues right on the spot. That means no waiting and no downtime without air conditioning for you & your family in the blistering Florida heat!
Call us at 561-295-1763 or contact our HVAC team online.